Saturday, May 16, 2009

Ella Jenkins


Today I seriously stopped in my tracks. I was on my way to do an event at a park, and who do I see, Ella Jenkins??? My heart started beating. I wanted to say hello but I was too scared. Yeah, I know I'm a chicken. I just had too many things to say to her. Anyways, Ella Jenkins blows me away for so so many reasons. Firstly, the album "You'll Sing a Song, and I'll sing a Song" was my daughter's favorate album as a baby. Also, being an octogenerian (someone in their 80's) and still playing music for kids is another reason. Add to that, that she has received the Lifetime Achievement Award and some Smithsonian Folkways recordings. Along with her ukelele, harmonica, guitar, and percussion instruments, Ella Jenkins has been playing interactive music for kids for over 40 years! I bow down to Ella.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I think she really would have appreciated hearing how much she has meant to you ... Next time, do it okay? We met her once in Atlanta and she was SO nice to my youngest who was being shy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, she's a *very* nice lady. I had a phone conversation with her a couple of years ago, and she asked about my newborn, how I was doing, etc., like she had known me forever. I'd love to see perform!

    ReplyDelete